This assembly is based on/uses characters from the following books:
· The Horrid Henry series by Francesca Simon
· Peter Pan by J.M. Barrie
· The Gruffalo by Julia Donaldson
· Charlotte’s Web by E.B. White
· Captain Underpants series by Dav Pilkey
· Matilda by Roald Dahl
· The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis
· Alice in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll
· The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carl
1. Music Party Rock Anthem – LMFAO; or Can’t Stop the Feeling – Justin Timberlake; or Happy – Pharrell Williams
2. Bad – Michael Jackson
3. If you Go Down to the Woods Today
4. School’s Out – Alice Cooper
5. Music Party Rock Anthem – LMFAO; or Can’t Stop the Feeling – Justin Timberlake; or Happy – Pharrell Williams (or any other song children will enjoy dancing to)
Cast of 30 (easily adapted up or down)
This number can of course be adapted to a smaller or larger group of children – it could even be taken up to a whole year group size. This script was written following a teacher’s request and so is based on her book choices. Other books can of course be used and the number of characters increased or decreased. It is a ‘moveable feast’ – as are all the best parties!
Duration: Around 20 minutes not including music suggestions
Narrator: Thank you! Of course there is so much to celebrate in the world of literature! All those wonderful inspirational characters!
(Enter Horrid Henry, scowling)
Horrid Henry: Dah! I suppose you’ve got a whole line up of squeaky clean characters for us today? Just got one word to say to that – BORING!
Narrator: And you are? (Pauses) Oh, don’t tell me – Horrid Henry!
(Aside to Audience) A shame he had to start us off today! Definitely not one of our more likeable characters!
(To Henry) Now, if you don’t mind, I do have a lot of other, shall we say ‘more wholesome characters’ to introduce!
Horrid Henry: (Scowling) Please yourself!
(Exit Horrid Henry, giving exaggerated ‘yawns’)
Narrator: (To Audience) Oh dear! Sorry about that! Let’s see if we can ‘raise the bar’ a little!
(Peter Pan ‘flies’ onto the stage)
Narrator: Ah! Peter Pan! How nice to meet you!
Peter Pan: The pleasure is all mine!
(Enter Wendy and Tinkerbell)
Peter Pan: I’d like you to meet
Wendy: (Curtseying) Wendy (looking at Peter Pan adoringly) Darling!
Tinkerbell: (Trying to ‘swoosh’ Wendy out of the way) And Peter’s favourite, Tinkerbell!
Peter Pan: (Laughing) Now, now Tinkerbell! We have spoken about that jealousy thing!
(Tinkerbell pulls a face, sulking)
Wendy: Oh but she’s so adorable! You can’t be cross with her for long!
(Enter Horrid Henry)
Horrid Henry: What was I saying about those yukky sugary-sweet characters? Time to introduce some more interesting ones!
(Horrid Henry beckons to Captain Cook and Crocodile)
(Enter Captain Cook and Crocodile, snapping at Narrator’s heels)
Narrator: (Angrily) Who let this beast on here? (Glaring at Horrid Henry) Oh I might have known you’d be up to no good!